As hunting season starts back up again, it’s always good to have the basic rules of gun safety like the ones at this range in case you’re bringing along someone new and to make sure that everyone fun and safe hunt.
The legendary Colonel Jeff Cooper who pioneered the modern firearm safety, created these rules:
- All guns are always loaded.
- Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Whan you take your deer hunting rifle into the woods be sure of these things as well
- Firearms should be unloaded when not actually in use.
- Don’t rely on your gun’s safety.
- If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, handle with care.
- Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the firearm you are using and have it serviced regularly.
- Alcohol and firearms do not mix. There’s always time for that kind of fun when you make it back ot camp
The United States has one of the lowest per capita firearm accident rates in the world. Let’s try to keep it that way this deer hunting season.